Renewing your Visa: A worrisome problem that most of us will face sooner or later. Below is a simple guide explaining how to renew different Visa categories.


See below clear guidelines to Chinese Visa Application in Chengdu:

L Visa Renewal
L Visa = Tourist Visa

*Valid for 30 days to several years

*Can be renewed once for 30 days

* Only individually (without any company to support)

*Required documents:
1) Passport + photocopy of profile page, visa page, and the page with the latest China entry stamp
2) 1 Passport picture (white background, size: 30mm x 40mm)
3) Police registration form of your residential address if live in an apartment, or temporary registration form/ certificate if live in a hotel
*30 days valid from the date of application
*Submit the application any working day before the visa expires
*Collect passport in 7 working days since the date of application


X Visa = Student Visa

*Duration: 6 months, 1 year, or longer duration

*Issued by the schools which has the qualification to recruit international students


M/F Visa Renewal

M Visa = Business Visa

F Visa = issued for short-term academic exchange programs

*Application must be supported and done by a Chengdu-registered inviting company (Individually not possible to get renewals).
*Renewal possible from 30 days to maximum 1 year but the decision is up to the visa authority
*Required documents ?:The same as for L visa renewal by foreigner + inviting company’s legal licenses

L/F upgrade to Visa

*Application must be supported and done by a Chengdu-registered inviting company (Individually not possible).

*Renewal possible from 30 days to maximum 1 year but it’s totally up to the visa authority

*Required documents: The same as for L visa renewal by foreigner plus inviting company’s legal licenses

*Note: Residence Permit of any category cannot be changed into M visa

Work Visa (Residence Permit):


Note: Here we focus on the Work Visa, Residence Permit can also be issued for study, marriage, and family reunion etc.

Work Visa initial/ transfer Application:

Before apply for the Residence Permit of work category, the employer company needs to get the work permit (Foreign Expert Certificate for teachers, or Alien Employment for non-teachers )


Prior to the application, foreigner must provide the employer:
*Passport profile page (Photocopy)
*Criminal Record Certificate from passport country (original)-Not required for teachers
*Diploma (Original, Bachelor’s degree level at least)
*Employment Verification Letter/Recommendation Letter from previous employer (Original)


Z Visa


*Issued by Chinese consular offices out of mainland China

*Normally valid only for 30 days since the entry date

*Within 30 days, the employer must help the employee to proceed 就业证 or 外专证 and residence permit

Time taken by relevant authorities:
*12 working days for Alien Employment License (non-teachers), by Chengdu HR & Social Security Bureau (or 15 working days for teachers to have the foreign expert permit by Chengdu Foreign Expert Affair Administration Bureau)
*5 working days: Invitation Letter by the foreign affair office of Sichuan or Chengdu
*2-7 working days to apply for Z visa in a Chinese consulate office out of China
*3 working days: Medical Checkup Record from Tongzilin North Road 1#
*5 working days to have Alien Employment Permit (non-teachers) or Foreign Expert Certificate for teachers
*15 working days: Residence Permit by Chengdu PSB


Important notice:

1. To apply for any visa for dependent family members, an original China Consular Authentication of marriage certificate/birth certificate of the child aged below 18 years old/applicant’s birth certificate if to proceed her/his parent aged over 60 years old a dependent family visa.

2. Within 10 days after passport changed/renewed, application of visa removal to new passport must be submitted to Chengdu PSB. Otherwise, could be fined from 500 to 2,000RMB.

3. Basic qualification to apply for work permit (non-teachers):
*At least 2 year professional experience since the diploma issuance date
*No criminal record
*Professional experience related to the position on application
4. Basic qualification to apply for Foreign expert permit (teachers)
*Native English speaker for English teaching position
*2 years teaching/educational professional experience since the diploma issuance date
*TESOL certificate for non-native English speaker to apply for English teaching position
*No criminal record


Public Security Bureau (PSB) Address:
Public Security Bureau (PSB) Foreign Affairs & Visa, 3F


Northside of Tianfu Square (left behind the Mao statue) 天府广场北侧原市政府第一办公区


For further service, please contact:

Nick Xie

Tel. & WeChat ID: 159-8229-4232

SinoAcccess Management Service


Comments are closed.

  1. Zachary Smith 1 year ago

    Hey – I see that this post is from 2015. Is it still correct?

    • Nina 12 months ago

      I’d love to know as well! I’ll be extending my visa in Chengdu within the next couple of weeks and would love to know if anyone knows if this information is still correct.

      • Chengdu-Expat Chengdu-Expat 12 months ago

        Hi Nina and thanks for your comment. The Visa application process and rules changed this year, best to check with the PSB or visa agent.

        • Nina 12 months ago

          Ah, what a bummer! I’ll check with the PSB today and see what’s up! Thank you so much for your response! 🙂

          • Morgan 10 months ago

            Hello Nina! Were you able to get your visa extended? We are hoping to do so as well but would like to know any tips before we go!

©2019 蜀ICP备18007487号-1


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account