Opening a bank account in Chengdu is almost an essential as the city relies more and more on electronic payments. Here’s everything you need to know:
Documents to Prepare Before Opening a New Bank Account:
- Passport (Original + Photocopy).
- Have your phone number ready.
- Choose the bank and find the closest location. (If you come to work in China, verify with your company which bank account they use).
- Some useful Chinese sentences to help you with opening a new account
Just show them to your bank clerks whenever you get confused.
Can I please open a debit card?
Wǒ kěyǐ dǎkāi jiè jì kǎ ma?
This is my passport and cellphone number.
Zhè shì wǒ de hù zhào hé shǒu jī hào mǎ
Can I have a notification on the account balance?
Wǒ kě yǐ tōngzhī zhànghù yú’é ma?
What’s the phone number customer service centre?
Shénme shì diànhuà hàomǎ kèhù fúwù zhōngxīn?
After you get your Debit Card
- You can connect your debit card with your WeChat account and Alipay account.
- There will be some service charges if you transfer money on an ATM to an account from another bank. It may take up to 24 hours before your money gets transferred to the new account.
- If you want other services, please call customer service centre or download a Bank APP to help you with your problems.
Other notes and tips
You may need a copy of your lease and your police registration and invitation letter, depending on which visa you have.
The Bank of China in Tongzillin Masters Complex have English speaking staff and it is often quick to open an account there. Large ICBCs also have a streamline process
Main Banks in Chengdu